Elderly woman dies in house fire after lighting candle in clothes

An elderly woman died in a house fire after a candle in her house lit some clothes.

Fire crews from across the city and county were called to the house at Frederick Road, Highfields, Leicester, as the woman was the only person in the house at the time.

Neighbors said she was still talking when she was taken out of the house but that she was taken to a hospital, where she later died.

For more stories involving Click here for the Leicestershire Fire and Rescue Service

After an investigation, Leicestershire Police concluded that the fire was not suspicious and that the case would now be under the jurisdiction of the Leicester coroner.

On Monday next week, fire brigades will return to the neighborhood to talk to local residents about fire safety and provide home safety checks.

The accident occurred around 4:30 p.m. on Thursday, December 30, but details of the accident only surfaced today.

The Leicestershire Fire and Rescue Service said they received a 999 call alerting them that someone was inside the property.

Four firefighting crews attended from across Leicester, Birstal and Wegston. They said an open flame, believed to be a candle, set fire to clothes and damaged a sofa in the house.

They added that the investigation concluded that the fire was accidental.

Neighbor Arzu Sabodin, 22, said residents were shocked to hear that the woman had died.



Frederick Roode in Highfields
Frederick Roode in Highfields

She said: Another neighbor called 999 and knocked on our door to warn us.

“We went out and there was a lot of smoke and the fire trucks were here.

“The lady, who is probably 70 years old, has been brought outside and is still talking.

“Her daughter and son-in-law, who live there with her, came home and were talking to them, then she was taken to the hospital.

“We were told to go away in the street and only leave it around 7pm.

“Obviously it was a shock to hear that she had died.

“She was a nice lady and we always said hi when we saw her.”

It’s very sad. I saw all the fire trucks when they were here – they were all on the way up and down,” said Ayub Kabaday, who runs The Store down the street.

I didn’t know what was happening at the time but later I heard that an old man had died.

A police spokeswoman said: “Shortly before 4:30pm on Thursday, 30 December, police were called to Frederick Street in Leicester after a property fire was reported.

Officers attended to support colleagues from the Leicestershire Fire and Rescue Service and surrounding roads were temporarily closed.

“A woman who was inside the property was taken to hospital but died of her injuries. It was not deliberately shot and her death is not being treated as suspicious.

“A file will be prepared for the forensic doctor, and the identity of the deceased will be determined for the forensic doctor,” he added.

LeicestershireLive Awaiting further information from the Leicester coroner. The woman’s identity details have not been reported.

Keep up with the latest news with our email alerts straight to your inbox. Register here

.

Leave a Comment